Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Comes, But Why Christmas?

As we approach Christmas, I am reminded of the whole purpose for Christmas. Christmas is a celebration of Christ coming to earth. In the past few days, I've been reminded multiple times that Christ walked as a human just as us. He knows us and understands what we experience. Here is one person who reminded me of Christ's life on earth. Kara Tippetts writes this,

"So, what hope can that lowly baby offer us in the pain of the daily-ness of life? How can we know, sense, understand the Emanuel (God with us)? The first comfort to me is that he didn’t have to come. He didn’t have to come to the lowly state of needy, human, brought forth in the stench of this world. But he did.... He has walked harder than I will ever walk or imagine. He faced utter rejection, pain, deception, and a death I could never die, and he did it all for me. And he did it all for you." 

I'm thankful for her reminder a few days ago of Christ coming as a babe all those years ago. You can check out Kara's blog here at Mundane Faithfulness and become a part of her community of support by hearing her heart. She is living under grace and being loved by Jesus through times in life she wouldn't have chosen for herself.  Someone else dear to me wrote, "We have victory in Jesus who has defeated sin on the cross."

As we go into celebrating Christmas this year in 2013, I am thankful and celebrating that Christ came as a lowly baby, but also that he was willing to follow his Father's will even after struggling and asking God to take it away from him. Christ's work on the cross is mighty and because of Christ's willingness we can live in worship and relationship with our loving God. No matter where you are in life this Christmas season, you can rejoice in knowing that God has made a way for us to know him as our Father. God looks at us through Christ's death on the cross. Christ took on all of God's wrath so we wouldn't have to bear the wrath of God. God looks at us lovingly. I believe He longs for us to rejoice in him and that be our purpose for celebrating Christmas. I am still very much learning and understanding the depth of Christ's death on the cross, but this Christmas season I am thankful for Christ coming to this earth. Christ's birth, death, and resurrection is mighty and powerful and can overcome anything for all time. Enjoy the video below that reminds us of this.


Psalm 147:5
Great is our Lord and abundant in power, his understanding is beyond measure.

  



1 comment: