Friday, October 17, 2014

Summer Bucket List

When people hear Caleb works night shifts as a nurse, they often comment "all the time?" or "that has to be hard." There are nurses Caleb works with who have worked night shift for 10+ years. Someone has to work at nights in order to help the hurting and sick in hospitals. I guess that's just not something we realize or think about unless we are there or have family in the hospital.

And for our friends and family who read my blog and haven't heard the news, Caleb did receive a nursing job in the Emergency Room! He started at the end of May and he is loving it. We are so thankful for the Lord providing this as it was the job Caleb really wanted. After many months of applying and things seeming discouraging at times that most ERs wanted someone already experienced, the Lord worked circumstances and people in Caleb's life that led him to this position in the ER. The Lord is always trustworthy knowing what's best in the plans of our life.

There are changes you have to make to that kind of lifestyle of working nights, but there are also plenty of advantages to working a 12 hour shift in general as a nurse. Caleb works 3 nights each Sunday-Saturday week so that means he often has anywhere from 3-6 days off of no work. I'm thankful my work in flexible so we are able to take off when it comes to his days off and enjoy Colorado.

I've had a few people recently comment "you guys have taken a lot of trips" or "you guys have gone a lot of places in CO."
Aspen leaves changing colors

Before summer began, Caleb and I made a list of the places in Colorado we wanted to visit and things we wanted to do. It was fun to put down on paper (well really a Microsoft Word document on the computer) of places we wanted to visit. Just writing down the places motivated us to get out and have adventures! Most of our trips over these past few months were either day trips or an overnight trip. We almost always camped in our tent (with an occasional cheap motel stay for the overnight if weather looked bad or we didn't feel like packing up all the camping stuff). You can see earlier blog posts to check out some of the places we camped at this summer.

Our two most recent adventures involved hiking 14ers. In September, I hiked my first 14er (mountain over 14,000 feet in elevation). We drove out to Fairplay, CO and spent the night in a little family-owned roadside motel (This was a result of not wanting to pack up all the camping gear for our short-less than 24 hour trip). In the morning we drove out to the trailhead for Mt. Sherman which was about a 20 minutes drive from where we stayed. We were surprised by the stunning display of color the Aspens were already giving off. Here's some pictures of this adventure.

 Our view from the summit of Mt. Sherman looking out towards Leadville. 

 I love the mountain towns all throughout Colorado in the valley areas between mountain ranges. When we first moved to Colorado, I had a picture in my mind of one massive mountain range and towns built on the sides of the mountain. Was my perception of the Rockies way off!! There are multiple mountain ranges all throughout the state with many valley areas between the ranges and peaks. 

 We've talked about how in marriage you do things you would never have done if you weren't married. We have plenty in common, but we also have plenty of differences. In these areas of differences, we get to share with each other new thoughts, ideas, challenges. I told Caleb I would have never made the choice on my own to take the energy to hike to the summit of a mountain over 14,000 feet. I'm perfectly content sitting around a campfire, reading a book, enjoying a hot cup of apple cider. I'm thankful for Caleb's challenging me, pushing me, and encouraging me. Because of my guy's differences I've had some pretty grand adventures! He also said there's thing he wouldn't do if he weren't married to me. :) I'm sure every guy can say that while loving their wives well.

 happily at the summit of Mt. Sherman after the final push up the steepest part of the climb.


Our latest adventure was camping at the base of Mt. Shavano at the end of September. Mt. Shavano is situated along the range of the Collegiate Peaks. I guess you could say it is between the towns of Salida and Buena Vista. Caleb hiked the 14er Mt. Shavano through a snow storm at the top (We knew I wasn't at the endurance level where I would be able to successfully hike to the summit). It was definitely a very challenging adventure for him.
It was great to have our walkie-talkies so I could stay in touch with him. {Especially when I noticed the storm clouds rolling in on top of the mountain} The walkie-talkies worked pretty well for the most part.

I took advantage of the time Caleb was off hiking to snap some pictures of the fall colors at sunrise and then to relax at our campsite at the campfire. Of course, things aren't always perfect and go as you plan. It rained most of the afternoon so after I got tired of walking around with an umbrella I found shelter in the car to read my book and talk on the phone with some family for a bit.


 Enjoying a sunset walk along the Colorado Trail

 Mt. Shavano is the peak the farthest back in this photo above. Now you see it...

 Now you don't. The clouds rolled in while Caleb was out hiking. Everyday isn't always splendid and perfect. This was me sitting in the car while the rain came down.

I spotted a beautiful full rainbow over the mountain peaks while Caleb was out hiking. Mt. Shavano summit is still hidden by snow clouds in this picture.

 I soaked up the moments of sunshine and no rain enjoying walking through the changing Aspens.

We are thankful we were able to pack up our tent and visit many of the places we had written on our "bucket list" for summer. It has definitely been an adventurous ride living in Colorado. As the cold days have slowly started, we've put away our camping stuff. Camping in the cold and snow is not our favorite. Brrr. Colorado winters come along with their own kind of fun and relaxation to be enjoyed. and I can't forget to mention one of the best things yet to come. Our niece out in Gunnison!! She is due in 4 weeks. We are so excited for your Krista and Daniel.

















No comments:

Post a Comment