Wednesday, August 12, 2015

South Carolina Home

My brother and his wife Nicole (My other amazing sister in law who I love!)
Caleb and I took a trip to South Carolina at the end of July. It was such a special sweet time with my parents, Caleb's parents, Caleb's grandparents, my brother and sister in law, and some dear high school friends. We were "back home." Someone has asked me before if I call South Carolina home. My response was South Carolina is "back home," but Colorado is home just as much.

We've all heard the adage Home is Where the Heart is. My heart is in more than one place. South Carolina is very familiar and comfortable with our family. We love the tall green forests of the southeast which are so visually different than our evergreens and aspens in Colorado. Then we love colorado as our wide world of adventure and mountain beauty with four beautiful seasons (and of course our siblings and niece here in CO we love so much!)

Our last day in Greenville was Caleb's birthday so we celebrated with our families. We had some TASTY south carolina pulled pork BBQ. That's the good stuff we haven't been able to find in Colorado yet. (We haven't given up on looking yet!) Comment at the end with any good BBQ recommendations in CO that are Southern style. 


Grandma was our scorekeeper while the rest of us played a competitive fun game of bocce ball in the yard. 

Per my request, we played a couple games of spoons and I was reminded how violent that can get. Somehow candidness was still captured while trying to get some family pictures. Love the laughter and joy in our faces, along with the strange looks.


Caleb and I are blessed with wonderfully loving parents. We have parents who love the Lord and who desire to live for His glory. We don't take for granted how we are blessed with such special families.



My parents live in Travelers Rest, SC which is at the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains. It is a beautiful area in South Carolina right outside of Greenville. We loved the tasty dinners my mom cooked and playing some card games. My mom surprised me with a fun girl's night out. Nicole, my sister in law, my mom, and I went to a painting studio. I always wondered what this would be like and it was something I really enjoyed. I would definitely go back! It was fun seeing how even though we all painted the same picture how unique each one still was.


There is a great biking/walking trail called the Swamp Rabbit Trail which runs from Travelers Rest and through Greenville and downtown. One day we walked a section of it in downtown TR with my mom, Caleb, one of my best friends Kim, and her sons. The sticky humidity wasn't pleasant for me and I loved any opportunity to be in a pool. We got some ice cream and then enjoyed swimming after our walk.



Kim, I love talking with you every week even though we live across the country. I'm thankful for a friend like you where we can encourage each other, love on each other, laugh together, share crazy stories, pray for each other and know we can talk about anything.





















<<< we had to get a selfie in the mall fitting room with handsome little B.
Kim's boys are lots of fun! Little B (as I will call him) has great energy and a great sense of humor. I don't think it's possible for anyone to meet him and not break into a smile. He also has the sweetest most compassionate heart. He wants to be helpful and wants to be your best friend. Mom and I went shopping at the mall one morning and Kim and her boys showed up and surprised us. Little B helped picked out clothes for my mom try on. He was quite entertaining. Love him!


 Little N-man is an adventurer. He is all boy climbing, running, and jumping. Loved his snuggles too. 
We decided to have an evening out without the kiddos. Walking downtown Greenville is one thing I can't miss out on when we get to South Carolina. We went with Kim and her husband Ben. (check out my shiny humid sweaty face). It's always interesting to hear how many people I meet in Colorado who know Downtown Greenville. Most people comment on how beautiful it is and how they would love to go back sometime. I'm so thankful for such a beautiful green place that we can enjoy while we are visiting family and friends. I wish I had taken pictures to share of our beautiful downtown back home! It has been written up in multiple travel magazines and articles as one of the top downtown areas to visit. 


We spent a day and night in Hickory, NC visiting with Caleb's grandparents, aunt, and cousin. It is so special getting to spend time with them. We love hearing their stories about their vacations in CO and how Grandpa Heavner vividly remembers his time at the Royal Gorge in Canon City, CO.






After leaving Hickory we headed to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, TN. Dad and Mom Heavner planned a fun couple days away in the Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. We went on a hike with a pretty waterfall view at the end, and we saw a mama bear and 2 bear cubs with her during our hike in the woods! The mountains on the east coast look very different from the Rocky Mountains here out west, but the east coast mountains still leave you standing in awe at the view. Green everywhere! 

The Comedy Barn put on a fun evening of entertainment. We had all the laughs we were hoping for and were refreshed to enjoy clean family friendly comedy. We would recommend anyone visiting the Comedy Barn in Pigeon Forge.

 Before we headed home we had to do a roller coaster track which took you up into the canopy of forest trees and wound its way back down the mountainside. This was a blast! 

Writing this post, reminded me of how our vacation in South Carolina was so nice. The time with all of our family was relaxing and fun reading books, playing games, and getting in plenty of swimming. David and Nicole had us over for swimming, grilling out, and watching a movie (or if I'm being honest sleeping through a movie). We are thankful for each visit we have with our families whether here in Colorado or in South Carolina and always look forward to the next time we are all together again! 





No comments:

Post a Comment