The other day I had a craving to make some chicken salad like mom does. And I had a great reason to make it. Some girls from church and I wanted to get together for lunch so I said I'd bring chicken salad. Since this was going to be eaten by other people I thought I should follow a recipe (although doing it mom's way of using whatever ingredients I already have has never failed).
I remembered a recipe I used in order to make chicken salad croissants for one of my best friend's wedding shower. I pulled out my recipe notebook and was delighted to find the recipe I wanted.
Here is the recipe for my Curry Chicken Salad Croissants: Full of flavor and crunchy texture
2 cups cooked chicken (I dice chicken with my food chopper)
1 medium red delicious apple chopped
1 cup dried cranberries (I buy the kind that is sweetened and made for salads)
2 T. green onions diced
1/2 cup thinly chopped celery (I use a food chopper and chop very thin)
1/4 cup pecans chopped (optional: I don't use pecans because some people just don't like nuts in things)
3/4 cup mayo
2 tsp lemon or lime juice (either work fine)
1/2 - 3/4 tsp. curry powder (It is worth it to buy a jar of curry powder seasoning because you will want to make this chicken salad again. I also will post a Baked Curry Chicken leg & thigh recipe that is delicious and one of the easiest recipes you can ever make).
Directions:
If using raw chicken, bake 2 boneless skinless chicken breast for 40 minutes at 375.
Combine together the mayo, lemon juice, and curry powder. Set aside for later.
Chop, dice, and cut the remaining ingredients above and combine in a medium to large bowl.
Mix in the mayo mixture to the large bowl of the other combined ingredients.
Wa-lah! You have some tasty chicken salad. Enjoy on some croissants or any type of bread you prefer for sandwiches.
Yum!!!! :) Thanks for sharing.Your Grandma Hagin liked making chicken salad -- though not very often when all the boys were at home, because, well you figure it out (lack of leftovers)! I remember celery and chicken and mayo but was usually eating too fast to remember other ingredients ... I'm sure, like your Mom, it was anything still hanging around in the fridge, though, there was usually not much hanging around very often ...see above for reason why ...!!
ReplyDeletewalnuts -- that was another standard ingredient!
ReplyDelete